The Speeding Driver, Who, How and Why Research
The Scottish Executive commissioned research to follow up previous studies in 1991, 1994 and 1996 on the causes and consequences of speeding.
This study consists of:
- a review of national and international literature,
- focus groups with drivers of different ages, gender, trip obligations and inclinations towards speeding,
- interviews with crash-involved drivers,
- a review of recent anti-speeding campaigns and initiatives in Scotland,
- an analysis of a sample of police records of speeding offences, and
- an extensive household survey of over 1,000 Scottish car drivers
Results were compared with previous studies and a comprehensive picture of the attitudes and behaviour of speeding drivers in Scotland and of the association between their speeding behaviours and their recent crash-history was compiled.
Published: August 2003